Assembling the baby’s bedroom is the dream of every family that is about to receive a new member, but is it the best choice to let the young child spend their first few months sleeping in a room alone?
Known as co-sleeping, the practice of having the baby in the parents’ room, in the same bed or in a cot next to the bed, is advocated by many people who believe this to the be the ”natural way”. It is however, it is extremely important to keep in mind the baby’s safety.
What are the advantages?
– easy access to food, especially when breastfeeding, and the mother tends to breastfeed for a longer time, compared to those who do not. And as you know, the longer you breastfeed, the greater the benefits for both the mother and the baby;
– reduction in the number of crying episodes;
– parents can sleep better and longer;
– more time with the child, increasing the bonds that unite them.
It is important to be safe if you choose to let him sleep with you. Remember that there is still the option of placing a crib by the bed.
– The mattress should be firm and smooth;
– Make sure that the baby can’t fall out of bed or get stuck;
– The room cannot be very hot;
-The baby should wear clothes appropriate to the temperature in bed;
– Pay attention to the temperature of the blankets and make sure they do not overheat the baby or cover his head;
– The parent who is not directly in charge of the baby that night, should be aware that the baby is in bed;
– If an older child is also in the same bed, the mother, or the father, should sleep between the child and the baby.
Finally, keep an eye on the baby’s development and signals that point that he is ready to be transferred to his own bed, thus guaranteeing more autonomy for his life after this phase of childhood.